Tuesday, March 13, 2012

EOS gets GLITTER BOMBED

So a couple of weeks ago I was in the drug store looking for some cough drops (laryngitis is the pits btw) when I spotted that EOS came out with a new flavor lip balm 'Honeysuckle Honeydew'. YUM. (To be perfectly honest I was more intrigued by the beautiful bright green spring color, but the flavor is what sold me) Now normally I'm all about the 'Summer Fruit' flavor, but I'm ready for spring & need to shake things up. 
Now if you haven't heard of these little EOS Smooth Spheres yet, you should probably pay attention. These little eggs pack a huge punch, for 1 they are the smoothest lip balm ever, they make my lips feel amaze & are great for a daily moisturizer.   (I wouldn't recommend them if your looking something to cure really super chapped lips, for that I would go with 'NEOSPORIN Lip Health Daily Hydration Therapy' that stuff with cure the chapped lips off an ice road trucker.) Plus they are super cute & little known fact they were designed with the 'conversation starter' concept in mind; people who are unfamilar with it with it are always curious as to what this magical sphere is. Double bonus if you are hyper sensitive to chemicals & weird products, this baby is 95% organic, 100% natural, paraben & pertrolatum free. Packed with antioxidant-rich vitamin E, soothing shea butter & jojoba oil, to keep your lips kissably soft & smooth. 
photo credit - http://evolutionofsmooth.com/
So I purchased this little green guy & brought him home. I had it on my night stand & then one fateful day I left my door open to my room, where my little sweet angel Brindlee, decided to go investigate. So I understand, if I were a dog I would want to go check my room out too, I mean I do live there so it is pretty awesome... so as a way to show her gratitude to me for letting her explore she decided to CHOMP on my new little egg. So I came back to a not so round, not so fabulous egg. :(major sad face. 


Well, I like to make the best out of most situations, & I really enjoy up-cycling things that are old & making them sparkly & beautiful, I decided to do some therapy on my little green guy. First I tried fixing the holes where Brindlee bit in using a candle to warm up the plastic and then smooching it down with my fingers... so this kinda worked, but it was still lumpy. Then I came to the conclusion that the only thing that could save this baby was glitter. This actually was a brilliant idea (if I don't say so myself) because glitter reflects light, it gives the illusion that the sphere is perfectly round and hides all its imperfections. It's basically botox for your EOS.  


But then I wanted to up the anti. I wanted an 'EOS To Go'. Lately I've been rolling around with just a tiny little clutch, (haven't been feeling the purse or shell for whatever reason) & the only downside to the EOS is that it can't really fit in your jeans pocket. So I figured I already had a whole bunch of holes in this sucker, why not one more. So I decided to add a key ring. 


Forgive me for not photographing the first couple of steps, I made the decision to blog this about half way through. 


What you need:


Sharp Tweezers w Key Ring w Hot Glue/Gun w Acrylic Paint (heavy body) w Funky Fingers Down To Earth w Funky Fingers Star-Studded w Top coat 



Ok so you want to start with your pair of sharp pointy tweezers, (now these tweezers are honestly sharp enough to 'shank-a-bitch' if necessary. I keep them in my makeup bag when I go out in lieu of mace. ;) ) I pierced the container at the top of the sphere were the EOS logo is printed. Then I pierced it on the other side and kept slowly stretching the holes until they finally connected. Then once I could see the tweezers on either end I carefully slid on the key ring. You want to make sure that you have enough plastic between the hole & the top of the egg so it wont rip when you put on the key ring. I then just coated the top of the plastic with some hot glue to enforce strength to the EOS so it wouldn't rip. 


see the bite marks?!

Next thing I did give it a new base coat by adding a layer of Acrylic Paint. I used a 'heavy body' because I wanted to fill in the holes a little bit, and the heavy body acrylic is really easy to build upon without using a lot of paint.


Then once that dried I added a layer of Funky Fingers Down To Earth. I like to call this the 'golden snitch' phase. (10 points to Gryffindor)
 I know I could have probably used another acrylic paint for this layer, but I really wanted to use this nail polish combo because I think it looks awesome plus it really is 'hard as nails'. I knew it wouldn't flake off with any bumps or scuffs from my keys.


Then it was time to add on Funky Fingers Star-Studded. I did two coats. Then to seal the deal I added some top coat. If you wanted to do this in acrylic and craft glitter I would suggest sealing it in 'mod podge' or glue gel to keep the glitter from flaking off. 




& that's it! Surprisingly easy, & it looks awesome! Who knows maybe EOS will see this and start producing a limited edition sparkly EOS smooth sphere! ;) 





on Pinterest? Repin Here, Here, or Here! :)






52 comments:

  1. you spelled "Gryffindor" wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im not even sure if "Gryffindor" is a word PS.does it really matter 2 comment on that? you need 2 just keep it at that

      Delete
    2. I don't really think it matters if she spelled "Gryffindor" wrong. Her idea is amazing and I bet she could make a lot of money off of this idea! I would DEFINITELY buy one of these :)

      By the way, you didn't capitalize "You" or put a period at the end of your sentence.

      -Thanks

      Delete
    3. Just to tell you im pretty sure "Gryffindor" is a person fom a movie or something, but even if it weren't why would it even matter she does have a great idea and your probably just jelouse because you didnt come up with it. Kbye

      Delete
    4. Yay. We're arguing about Harry Potter on an article about gitterfying your eos sphere.

      Delete
    5. Gryffindor is not a person it's a house, in Harry Potter

      Delete
    6. The House Gryffindor is named after the man that founded Gryffindor, thank you very much!

      Delete
    7. I would buy one too they look Soooooo awesome

      Delete
    8. My dog does the same thing with my EOS!!! Such a cute idea! And when the chapstick runs out, it makes a great container for loose change, earrings, etc.!

      Delete
  2. this is so cool!:) this is #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is too cute! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great idea except im in highschool and dont carry around keys any other tips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could attatch it to a backpack or to basically anything that you carry around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea!!!!!!!! It's awesome!! I'll need to go by a new one becuase there aren't just holes in mine, my dog dystroyed it!!

      Delete
  6. where do you get the acrylic paint?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You spelt Gryffindor wrong. But that is the only mistake I found. Either way, I'm going to make one of these, put it on facebook, and give credit to you! This is the smartest idea I have heard. :) :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "this is a great idea except im in highschool and dont carry around keys any other tips?"

    You can clip it to your belt loop if you are wearing jeans, put it in your book bag, put it in your locker, anything, really
    Hope this helped! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions! I would suggest maybe attaching the key ring to a carabiner clip and putting it on your jeans, or maybe attaching it to your agenda or even make some sort of bookmark!?

      Delete
  9. "You spelt Gryffindor wrong" isn't it "SPELLED" ???????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spelt is the British English version of spelled.

      Delete
  10. My boxer dog Tried to eat mine too... Same one honeydew. It's that good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Gryffindor spelling error has been fixed! Apologies to you HP superfans out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Technically Gryffindor IS a person. Godric Gryffindor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My maiden name is Griffin, I checked it and yup, I spelled it correctly! Getting back to the idea I think it is so creative! 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I officially cannot stand harry potter fans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I'm too lazy to do it myself, but if EOS sold one like this I would totally buy it! They should make a berry flavor and call it Berry Glam! :D

    http://www.mrsgaeul.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. where can you get eos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walgreens, Walmart, likely other places as well, or you can order it online from evolutionofsmooth.com.

      Delete
  17. These would be super cute for the teens decorated and attached to a necklace or bracelet..and super convenient to use that way too! awesome idea...i think i will start crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its beautiful, love what you did, but you have way more time and energy than I do, I would have just gone and bought another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some of your readers are freaks, and I love the idea. Let us know how long the holes lasted though, I'm worried about that part of it, and also worried about why dogs seem to love it so much? My daughters dog chewed hers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted, but so far so good! And I think the dogs like them so much because they smell so good!

      Delete
  20. I thinks this looks great! My daughter and I did ours in silver with a silver based glitter nail polish and they look like a Disco ball :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL the only bad thing is the acrylic paint. i certainly wouldn't pair lead paint with something that will be going on my lips and into my mouth where it would slowly absorb through the mucus membrane of my mouth and get into my blood stream, from there i could possibly become slightly deranged or even die of heavy metal toxicity. but thats just me <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would be okay. Unless you planned on eating the egg or chewing off the paint. However, then I'd think you would have other things to worry about.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to agree with Shannon on this one. I don't usually lick or chew the outside of my lip balm, but that's just me <3 so I think I'm good. But perhaps when you do your blog you can use another paint :)

      Delete
  22. This is FANTASTIC! I saw your blog on the EOS website, and after reading (and checking out the pictures), I made a shopping list and headed to the store. I plan on creating one of these tomorrow- only, I'm going to try tissue paper with covered with the clear acrylic gel. I thought that it might come out a little textured but still durable.

    P.S. I also bought an extra egg and the nail polish, just in case my tissue vision doesnt work out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your idea! Hope it comes out awesome! :)

      Delete
  23. I did this and now all my friends are asking where I brought it. Great and amazing idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEST idea EVER. I don't really carry a purse (more a diaper bag of dooooooooooooom) and I can never ever ever find my lip balm. I have bought a billion of these babies because they are my favorite, only to use once or twice before they are "lost". this idea is truly perfection!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do I have to use acrylic paint as the base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you can use whatever you like. I chose acrylic because I like it's durability.

      Delete
  26. Seems like an awful lot of work for some chapstick.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how this exact same situation happened twice for me!

    ReplyDelete